Utah's Key County

Utah's Key County

Nebo Loop Mountains

160 N Main

Nephi, UT 84648

General Office Hours Monday - Thursday 7a.m. to 6 p.m.

See department pages for the Attorney, Treasurer, and JP Office Hours




Justice Court

APPEARING IN COURT (In Person or by Video/Phone)

You are required to appear for all court appearances as notified by the court.  If you fail to appear when notified, a warrant MAY be issued.  Please keep the court informed of your current mailing address, email address, and phone number as long as your case is active with this court.

Currently court appearances are scheduled for a video/phone appearance.  If you have been scheduled for an Arraignment or Initial Appearance, follow the instructions below:

You are ORDERED to read, fill out, and return the first two (2) forms to the court before your scheduled hearing.  If you are going to request a public defender, complete the third form.  If you do not return the forms as requested, your case may be continued until they are received by the court.  You can fill out the forms, save them with a different name, and then email them to jcjuab@utcourts.gov.  You can also print them out, fill them out by hand, and email or mail them back to the court.

Form 1 - Rights, Instruction and Enhancement Notification Form

Form 2 - Right to Counsel

Form 3 - Public Defender Request

You are also ORDERED to watch the video below which will explain your rights prior to your court hearing. 



Additional links for information regarding Webex appearances and completing pdf forms:

Signing and Filling out a PDF Instructions

Webex Instructions

Utah State Courts Webex Tips



Court hearings are held on Wednesdays by appointment only.  If you need to see the Judge, please call the Court during business hours to schedule an appointment.  If there is no answer, please leave a clear message with your name, phone number, and Citation/Case Number (if available).  We will return your call as soon as we can.

Clerk’s Business Hours

Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Friday 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

A Spanish interpreter is available for court hearings upon prior notice to the court.  Hearings for defendants needing an interpreter will be scheduled as needed.



Court Address:          160 North Main Street

                                Nephi, Utah  84648

Phone:                         (435) 623-3440

Fax:                             (435) 623-5937

Email:                          jcjuab@utcourts.gov


The Court is closed on all Utah State Holidays.



Justice Courts are established by counties and municipalities. They have the authority to deal with Class B and C misdemeanors, infractions, violations of city/county ordinances, and small claims under $11,000.00. 

Justice Court judges need not be attorneys, although they receive extensive training and 30 hours of continuing education each year to remain certified.

Juries, consisting of four persons, hear jury trials in Justice Courts.  Defendants often appear without an attorney (pro se).  They may also hire private counsel or apply for the appointment of a public defender to assist them.

Any person not satisfied with a judgment made in the Justice Court is entitled to appeal the decision of the court and have a trial de novo (new trial) before the District Court.  Notice of appeal must be filed with the court, in writing – signed and dated, within 28 days following the Justice Court decision. 




You can pay online 24 hours a day with a credit or debit card.  Go to www.juabcounty.com. , Online Court Payments. You will need your citation number or court case number and credit or debit card information.  A small service fee will be added to your fine payment.


Payment by credit or debit card can be made over the phone by calling 1-800-764-0844.  A small service fee will be added to your fine payment.

TO PAY IN PERSON:           

Appear at the Justice Court located at 160 North Main Street, Nephi, Utah during posted office hours. (Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Friday – 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)    You may pay court fines at this location with cash, money order, or check. 


Send check or money order to the Juab County Justice Court, 160 North Main Street, Nephi, Utah 84648.  DO NOT SEND CASH.  Make the check or money order payable to the Juab County Justice Court and include your citation or case number.  Payments need to be received by the court within 14 days of the issuance of the citation in order to avoid additional penalty amounts.  If you are unable to pay on time, you may call and make arrangements for an extension.




You must apply for online traffic school at www.streetrules.com within 14 days from the date of your ticket to determine if you are eligible for a traffic school option. DO NOT pay your ticket online.  Traffic School is $65.00, in addition to the fine amount.

Eligibility is based on your driving history. You will not be able to eligible for traffic school if you have any of the following conditions:

  • You do not have a valid driver’s license
  • You possess a commercial driver’s license
  • Your ticket resulted from an accident
  • Your ticket is marked “must appear”
  • You received a major traffic ticket such as a DUI or Reckless Driving citation
  • Your ticket is for exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph on any roadway
  • Your ticket is for illegally passing a school bus
  • You have taken any traffic school course as part of an agreement or have agreed with any court to reduce or dismiss a traffic citation within the last 18 months.
  • You have received 3+ moving violations in the past 3 years (including this citation and any that have been dismissed or modified by any court)

To apply for traffic school:

  1. Go to StreetRules.com
  2. Click the “Start New Course” button.
  3. Select Utah as the ticketing state, Juab as the county, and Juab Justice Court
  4. Continue the application process
  5. Accurately and honestly fill out the application



No Weapons.  This includes any sharp or bladed instrument. Please leave them at home or in your vehicle.

Proper Dress is Required.  No shorts, hats, tank-tops, halter-tops, mini skirts, or clothing within appropriate pictures or words.  You may be asked to reschedule your hearing if you are not properly dressed.

Cell Phones and Electronic Devices Must Be Turned Off.  Cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off while you conduct your business with the court.  Security may confiscate these items if they are disrupting proceedings or are being used to record without authorization.

No Photography or Recording Allowed.   Photography and/or recording of proceedings are only allowed upon written prior approval from the Justice Court Judge.

No Small or Disruptive Children Allowed in the Courtroom.

All Courtroom Proceedings are Recorded.



Traffic Citations

How long do I have to take care of my citation?

You were notified by the officer that you have not less than five (5), and no more than fourteen (14) days to appear on your citation.  You MUST contact the court to either pay your citation or schedule an appointment to see the judge within that time.  Some charges require a mandatory appearance before the judge.  If that is necessary, you will be notified by mail (or email) of that arraignment date. 

On charges that do not require an appearance, you still have the right to see the judge or you can resolve the citation by paying the fine online, by phone, by mail, or in person.

Please notify the court if your address is different than the address on your citation.  The court would also request that you call them with a phone number and email address if hearings are desired.

Why do I have to wait five (5) days to contact the court?

You are welcome to contact the court at any time.  However, it generally takes at lest five (5) business days for the court to receive the information on your citation.  General questions may be answered prior to that citation being received by the court.  However, specific information regarding your citation cannot be answered until the citation has been received by the court.

What options do I have on my citation?

If the charge(s) do not require a court appearance, you may:

  • Schedule an appointment to see the judge, either to contest the charge(s) or make other requests. You may represent yourself or hire an attorney for this hearing.

Upon appearing in court, you may:

  • Enter a plea of GUILTY. If you enter a plea of guilty, you may make a statement prior to being sentenced by the Court.  You must then pay the fine imposed by the Court.
  • Enter a plea of NOT GUILTY. A date and time for pretrial conference OR trial will be set and formal notice will be mailed (or emailed) to you.  You MAY be required to post bail until the next hearing.  If you lose your case, you must be prepared to pay the fine imposed by the Court.
  • Enter a plea of NO CONTEST. By entering this plea, you are not admitting guilt.  You are indicating that you do not want further hearings and you will pay the fine imposed by the Court.  You may make a statement prior to being sentenced.
  • You may pay the citation online, by phone, by mail, or in person within fourteen (14) days to close the case.

If using this alternative to appearing in court, you must understand that:            

1. You have waived your right to your day in court.

2. The bail you post will be applied to your case.

3. Your case will be recorded as a conviction.

4. The Driver’s License Division will be notified of the conviction when it is required by statute.

Remember – If you intend to enter a NOT GUILTY plea, you must appear before the court.

If the charge(s) DO require a court appearance:

  • You will be notified of your arraignment date by mail (or email). A warrant may be issued if you do not appear for this hearing.
  • If you need to have the hearing rescheduled, please notify the court as soon as possible. This request needs to be made at least one day prior to the scheduled hearing date. 
  • If you have an attorney, he/she can request a continuance in your behalf.

Failure to make your payments as ordered by the Court can result in additional penalties being imposed.  Please include your case number and name on your payments to make sure that your payment is credited to the correct case.

Insurance Citations

How do I prove that I had insurance on the day my citation was issued:

A violation of No Proof of Insurance can be dismissed if verification of insurance is presented to the court with the following required information:

  • The letter MUST be on Insurance Agency letterhead.
  • The name of the insured is listed. If the name of the insured is different than the person who received the citation, the letter MUST include an explanation indicating that the driver had permission of the owner and is covered under that policy.
  • Vehicle description (MUST match the vehicle listed on the citation).
  • Proof that the coverage was in effect on the date and time that the citation was issued.
  • The agent’s signature.
  • The citation or case number.

This letter may be faxed to the court at (435) 623-5937. If the letter is faxed, you should call the court to verify that the letter was received.  The court will contact you as to the Judge’s decision on dismissing the charge after review of the letter.

PLEASE NOTE – An insurance card or a declaration of benefits is NOT sufficient proof of valid insurance.

What if I did not have insurance on the day of my citation?

You will need to appear before the judge for arraignment.  You may represent yourself, hire an attorney, or apply for a public defender to represent you on this charge.  Please bring proof of current valid insurance to court at the time of arraignment if you have secured insurance since the citation was issued.

General Questions

What is a public defender and how do I get one appointed on my case?

Everyone is entitled to representation by counsel.  You can decide if you want representation at any stage of the court process.  If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may fill out an Application to be considered for a public defender who is paid by the court to represent those who cannot afford to pay counsel.  The Court is under strict guidelines regarding the qualifications for the appointment of a public defender.  After you have completed the Application, the Judge will review it and determine if you qualify for a public defender. At this time, if you are charged with an Infraction, you would not be entitled to have a public defender appointed to represent you.

How do I resolve a warrant?

In general, if you have a warrant, a warrant fee has been added to the original charges, together with a possible delinquent enhancement, and your driver’s license may be suspended.

For charges that do not require an appearance before the court, you can pay the warrant online, by phone, by mail, or in person.  If paid online or by phone, please allow four (4) business days for the payment to be processed.  At that time, the warrant will be recalled and a clearance for your driver’s license will be faxed to the Utah State Driver’s License Division.  You should then call Driver’s License and make arrangements to have your license reinstated.

For charges that DO require an appearance before the judge, you will be required to post the bail in full prior to recalling the warrant.  You will be required to sign a Promise to Appear scheduling a future hearing to resolve the charge(s).



The Justice court has jurisdiction over small claims cases if the defendant (the person being sued) resides in Juab County or if the debt arose within the Juab County limits.

Small claims can be filed for a claim up to $11,000.00.  The claim must be for actual damages.

The fee to file a small claims case is:

  • $60 (For claims that are $2,000 or less)
  • $100 (For claims that are $2,001 - $7,500)
  • $185 (For claims $7,501 - $11,000)

After the case is filed with the court, the plaintiff (the person filing the claim) is responsible to serve the defendant with notice of the suite and the trial date.

Small claim instructions & forms:  https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/smallclaims/index.asp


Expungement instructions & forms: https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/expunge/index.html


©Copyright 2020, Juab County, All Rights Reserved